PSEG plans site for new reactor

08 August 2014

Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is in the process of negotiating a land swap with the US Army Corp of Engineers to acquire land adjacent to its existing Salem and Hope Creek nuclear power plants along the Delaware River.

 Salem and Hope Creek - 460 (PSEG)
Salem and Hope Creek (Image: PSEG)

PSEG operates three nuclear power reactors on 740 acres (875 hectares) on Artificial Island - an area in Lower Alloways Creek, New Jersey - and plans to build a fourth. Salem and Hope Creek together comprise the second largest nuclear power generating facility in the USA, after Palo Verde.

As part of the land swap, the Newark, New Jersey-based utility would acquire around 631 of degraded wetlands near the plant, PSEG Nuclear spokesman Joe Delmar told World Nuclear News on 6 August. The Army Corp of Engineers would acquire 354 acres at another location and use it for river dredges.

"We continue the regulatory process with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission on our early site permit application that we filed in 2010," Delmar said. "We expect an NRC decision in late 2015."

"The permit would be good for 20 years and recognize that the site we have identified for a potential new plant would be suitable,” he said. “Within that 20 year window, we can then select a reactor technology and submit a construction license to the NRC."

PSEG owns 57% of the twin-pressurized water reactor Salem nuclear power plant, built by Westinghouse, while Exelon Corp owns the remaining 43%. Salem 1 and 2 started commercial operations in 1977 and 1981, respectively. They are licensed to continue operating until 2036 and 2040. PSEG is the sole owner of single-unit Hope Creek boiling water reactor, built by GE, which started commercial service in 1986 and is licensed to operate until 2046. PSEG is also joint owner with Exelon Corp. of the Peach Bottom boiling water reactor, built by GE, in Delta, Pennsylvania.

Researched and written
by World Nuclear News