RWE reassures on Belene

15 May 2008

RWE has confirmed to the Bulgarian government that it remains interested in a major stake in the Belene project. The two new 1000 MWe reactors at Belene will be 51% owned by the state's National Electricity Company (NEK), while the fate of the remaining 49% is under discussion. Previous newspaper reports had speculated that RWE had lost interest, but the company's Holger Bitts flew to Sophia to meet Petar Dimitrov, Bulgaria's minister of economy and energy. "Our commitment to the Belene nuclear power plant project has not changed," said Bitts in a minstry statement, "A team of 75 specialists is working on the analysis and preparation of a bid." The other firm in the running for a major stake is Belgium's Electrabel. Recent RWE presentations have described a 'balanced mix of coal, gas and nuclear' as well as a 'focus on new build abroad' as parts of its nuclear strategy - as well as taking part in at least two nuclear projects in the UK and keeping nuclear power as an option in home country Germany.